Monday, March 3, 2014

Prolific

That's the word my surgeon used to describe my hair.

"Your hair is very prolific," he said as he was extracting an infected ingrown hair from my surgical scar. This is the 2nd time he's had to do it. A small abscess had formed around the imbedded hair and a leftover suture that has refused to be absorbed.

I'm not going to complain, though. I know women my age who are suffering with hair loss. I got my thick hair from my dad. I'm a hairy beast, thanks to him. Most of my life, I've battled it into clips and bands that were designed for lightweights, not for my heavy mane. It's been a blessing and a curse in my cochlear implant post-op recovery, both easily covering the surgeon's shave and infecting my healing scar.

It's prolific.

He lanced the sore and told me that's probably why my scalp has been so tender lately. "You'll probably feel much better now," he said.

I hope he's right.


No comments:

Post a Comment