Sunday, August 14, 2016

There Are Grapes

Here it is again. August 14th. A day that will live in infamy. At least for me. The day I lost my hearing. The day that set my life course towards hearing aids, audiograms, batteries, and cochlear implants...

I spent the better part of this dreaded day in my nightgown watching TV. "Buying Hawaii" to be exact, with a bit of Olympic volleyball in between, wondering and speculating how I might be able to afford retirement in the isles, but knowing I'll probably opt for something much more affordable on my teacher's retirement. I only showered to relieve the stiffness in my side and shoulder from a random fall in a parking lot yesterday. And once I was dressed, I talked my hearing husband into accompanying me to the grocery store.

I bought grapes.

I don't know when or how grapes became a comfort food. Maybe it's my unhealthy subconscious yearning for a few glasses of Sangria, but opting for grapes instead. I don't know, but I've come close to finishing the whole bunch today.

It's been four years. I wonder if there will come a time when this day will arrive unnoticed. Unmarked. Just another day on the calendar. Maybe. Someday.

Until then, though, there are grapes.


1 comment: