Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Coffee Sign

As I was running errands this morning, I stopped for a coffee at the local Quik Trip. Without even thinking about it, I signed "thank you" to the young man who made my skinny vanilla latte. To my surprise, he signed back. I've no idea what he signed, so I smiled my doofus smile and nodded, grabbed my coffee, and made a quick exit.
Coffee

Shortly after I got my cochlear implant, I took a beginning sign language class given by a friend of mine. Learning sign language isn't much different cognitively than learning any language. You have to use and practice it often or you'll forget. Having no one to practice with, I forgot much of the things I learned shortly after the class ended. I used the ASL alphabet in my classroom with my students, finger spelling sight words for spelling practice. I also used a few other signs with them to cut down the noise in my room -- notably the help, restroom, and thank you signs. Those I remember, but other words come slower -- if anyone is willing to wait while I attempt to communicate letter by letter.

I rarely see signing being used in public. Once at a restaurant and another time at the mall. And today by the young latte maker. My daughter is quick to elbow me when we are out together and point out signers when she sees them, as if I am a part of their secret club.

But I'm not much like them at all. We are both deaf, yes. But I don't know their language. And spelling all my words would be woefully tedious for both of us. 

My tradition is oral and hearing. I am a hearing person who cannot hear. I have a foot in both worlds.

I wonder how the young man came to sign. Did he learn it because a family member or friend is deaf? Or did he just want to learn it as a second language?

I'll never know because I nearly ran myself over exiting the place. Next time I'll be more prepared.





2 comments:

  1. I love you, Bonnie. You chased your deafness until it became a part of you, one you have worked to both cope with and challenge. I appreciate the clarity of your writing, a medium you are an expert, still striving for all of us to try to understand what your life is now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Grammie. I appreciate your comments and encouragement!

    ReplyDelete