Saturday, December 7, 2013

My Mantra

I have been surprised at just how difficult recovering from this surgery has been. Other CI recipients have bragged online about how easy their surgery and recovery was. Even my surgeon's nurse said most of their patients take 5-10 days off work to recover. I took 12.

Being a veteran of many surgeries, I know that each one is unique and presents its own set of challenges. But I thought this one would be much easier than it's been. I am completing my 18th day, and it still feels somewhat like I've been run over by a Mack truck.

The lingering headache is probably the most significant thing. And the tenderness at the incision site. I still have to be careful about moving my head too quickly -- and averting the ensuing dizziness that accompanies it.  And the fatigue at the end of each day completely wipes me out. I carry Tylenol in my purse. And I take it on schedule.

I can't let it get me down, though. I have things to do, and I'm not so down-and-out that I need to take more sick leave from work. I just need to move slower than usual and give myself a little more time to heal. It'll be worth it, I know.


This is probably why my surgeon told my audiologist to schedule my programming for the 6th week, instead of the 4th week, when most CI recipients have theirs. Placing the external coil magnet on my tender head at this point doesn't sound too appealing.

I ventured out to do some Christmas shopping this afternoon. The roads were relatively clear after Thursday and Friday's ice and snow storms. But the absurdly cold temperatures stung my surgery site and gave me an achy headache. I'm not well yet.

I should have worn a hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment