Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Staples

Staples: a u-shaped piece of metal used to fasten layers of easily-penetrable material (usually paper) together.

Staples are so commonly useful in everyday applications, we don't even give them a second thought. "Hey, hand me the stapler, please. I need to staple these papers together."

However, staples take on new meaning in the surgical-recovery realm. Especially when a dozen or more of them are in the side of your head. I counted fourteen little u-shaped staples in the photograph my daughter took of my implant wound. Fourteen shiny miracles of medical technology closing the incision that holds my future inside my incredible skin-organ.

They hurt. And my glasses clank against them.

I wonder who first thought of using staples instead of stitching. I tend to think it may have been one whose sewing skill was lacking.

Significance: (I looked this up.) Surgical staples are quicker and more accurate than hand suturing and are less likely to leak blood than other suture lines. Staples carry a lower association of infection and tissue reaction than sutures. Staples are frequently used to close wounds on the scalp.  Well, now. That makes sense, doesn't it?

They may be good, but they just seem a little on the weird side to me. And in that odd, strange, Frankenstein-ian way, I feel a bit like I've woken from a drunken coma to find that someone went a bit overboard on the body piercing.

I hope it doesn't hurt when I get them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment