Saturday, November 9, 2013

You Should Be Worried

One of the things people tell me is that my hearing loss has made them acutely aware of their own hearing. This is a very good thing, I think.

Hearing is a precious thing-- taken for granted until it isn't there.

And even though I am a mere novice in the hard-of-hearing world, friends and family and even acquaintances ask my opinion and advice for their own hearing travails.

"I never worried about my ears popping until I heard you say that's what happened with your hearing loss," they say.

"My ears have been stopped up for a few days. I never thought much of it before because it's usually sinus, but now I'm a little paranoid, so I made an appointment with the ENT," they say.

"I've noticed that I don't hear conversation as well in restaurants, either. Maybe I should get my hearing checked, ya' think?" they ask.

"I have this whooshing sound in my ears. Do you think I should be worried?" they ask.

Yes. Yes, you should be worried.

It may be nothing, I tell them. But then again...look at me. I'm not an expert. But why risk it? It's as simple as an appointment with those who are.

Hearing is a precious thing. Cherish it. Protect it. Don't take it for granted.


No comments:

Post a Comment